United Airlines Senior Manager - IT Tech Ops Supply Chain in Chicago, Illinois
The United IT team designs, develops and maintains massively scaling technology solutions that are brought to life with innovative architectures, data analytics and digital solutions.
Job overview and responsibilities
The primary purpose of the “Sr. Manager - IT Application Development for Supply Chain Tech Ops” position is to lead the team responsible for our internal supply chain applications used by our Technical Operations team. In this role, you will be responsible for the creation of our next generation Logistics and Analytics solutions for our business partners. You will report to the Director in IT responsible for the technology portfolio for Supply Chain Tech Ops.
It is critical that this role establish and maintain strong business relationships with both senior and operating level business leaders and be the key interface point of contact with the business. This role is accountable for the strategy, evaluation and implementation of standards and procedures which support the enterprise’s application infrastructure.
• Establish and maintain strong business relationships with both senior and operating level business leaders
• Understand and provide recommendations for improvement of Business Processes by leveraging existing IT capabilities, identifying improvements to existing IT capabilities and define new strategic IT capabilities
• Stay abreast of business of business strategy, goals, objectives and operational performance
• Be a Thought Partner, i.e. engaged with Business Owners/Business Process Development
• Act as the point of contact and facilitate the work request demand and prioritization process
• Educate business partners on roles, responsibilities, processes and deliverables required to ensure effective delivery of new technology solutions
• Responsible for escalating, assisting and follow-through on resolution of issues related to delivery of technology solutions
• Engage and ensure effective delivery of business deliverables and tasks with business partners for delivery of technology solutions (development of business requirements, scope management, training business change management and deployment
• Interacts directly with the client and support team members across the IT organization
• Accountable for gaining and maintaining alignment of delivery success criteria with business partners
• Accountable for effective project management and delivery of work requests and projects within committed budget, schedule and quality for individual projects while also meeting overall department performance goals
• Accountable for identifying needs, securing commitments and monitoring progress of deliverables from internal and external service provider team
• Provide cost estimates and business case updates
• Accountable for ensuring technology solutions comply with architectural standards
• Responsible for communication of progress to senior IT and Business leadership
• Responsible for organizing and maintaining performance of any application issues in accordance with agreed SLA
• Decision making responsibility within the discipline and escalates any issues which cannot be resolved to the Managing Director Application Development
• Tasked with understanding all of the operating policies and procedures of the enterprise
IT Process Mgmt. and Administrative:
• Accountable for management of IT professionals (direct reports) and additional sourced/3rd party contractors.
• Define, prioritize, allocate resources, track and provide status reporting of work assignments, projects, programs
• Budget and cost management for the projects/programs
• Ensure IT application development process disciplines (solution delivery, project management, work requests, QA, etc.) and standards are established, effectively managed and performed.
• Provide information and periodic updates to support overall IT performance metrics, monthly project status reporting and quarterly resource planning review.
• Ability to manage up to 3 or more large scale applications
• Ability to manage up to 15 M in annual budget
• Ability to manage up to 4 Business Partners
• Ensures projects/programs are completed within the committed time and budget and are integrated with other software applications
• Directs multiple teams of developers involved in the analysis, design and development of complex and large-scale applications which may include both projects and programs.
Organizational Effectiveness / People:
• Provide leadership by establishing department and individual goals
• Responsible for developing and maintaining an overall sourcing plan which includes creative sourcing options and alternatives to ensure supply capacities meet work demand, role and skill set requirements and cost objectives
• Responsible for assessing and recommending improvements to the organization structure, roles and responsibilities
• Responsible for department and individual performance assessments and improvement plans.
• Responsible for coaching, counseling, assisting employees to develop individual career development and training plans.
• This Sr. Manager is accountable for maximizing the productivity of the applications staff and the maintainability of software systems, keeps abreast of new technologies, incorporates those technologies when appropriate and motivates others to utilize them
BS in Computer Science, Mathematics,Information Systems, other related field, or equivalent work experience
5 to 10 years of IT and business/industry work experience
5 years of Supply Chain experience
5 years of solutions design experience for the business
At least 12 months of technical leadership experience in managing multiple, large, cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders
At least 12 months of experience managing a team of employees
Written and verbal communication skills
Requires advanced technical and business knowledge in software development life cycle, quality assurance, project management and other related disciplines/processes
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
M.B.A or MS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Systems, or other related field
Dedication, Flexibility, Problem Solving, Self-Development
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Division: 47 Technology/IT
Function: Information Technology
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled