United Airlines Principal Engineer – Engineering Support Center OSV Aircraft Heavy Check Structural Engineer in Houston, Texas
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
Technical Operations is the maintenance, repair and overhaul division of United. The department includes aircraft maintenance technicians, engineers, planners, ground equipment and facilities teams, supply chain teams and more.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
Provide engineering technical support during heavy maintenance checks for the United Airlines worldwide fleet of aircraft at HOU and IAH and (OSV) Outside Service Vendor facilities. Engineering support will include all repair and modification issues for Structures, Systems, Interiors and Avionics. Investigate maintenance problems during base maintenance and initiate corrective actions to return aircraft to service in a timely manner. Provide engineering assistance to maintenance consisting of technical data research, process development, and procedure clarification and direction necessary to maintain continued airworthiness of the aircraft.
Position requires occasional OT and weekend work and moderate domestic and international travel is required.
· Provide technical support for base maintenance aircraft to ensure timely return to service. This includes designing and developing technical data for aircraft repairs and modifications. Includes performing technical engineering substantiations through complex engineering analysis by hand and computer software programs. Author and continually evaluate/improve UAL engineering processes and procedures.
· Develop substantiating data for aircraft and equipment design / repairs through knowledge of aircraft operational characteristics, materials and processes.
· Responsible for the investigation, root cause analysis (and development of a solutions) for chronic aircraft issues.
· Coordinates extensively with other United operational groups to ensure airworthiness, safety, regulatory compliance, warranty liaison, operational reliability and efficiency.
· Interfaces with industry, regulatory and/or governmental agencies to establish policies and procedures as required.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or current employee of United Airlines Engineering
Knowledge of aircraft structures for Boeing/Airbus
Teamwork, good communication and analytical skills
Technical writing ability
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship.
Flexible schedule with occasional OT and weekend work
Moderate travel domestic and international
Regular attendance and punctuality in accordance with United's policies
Attendance is required at work location
DER or ODA UM ticket (or candidate)
Boeing Structures I, II or III Course
Boeing Composite Repair Course 1 or 787 Course
FAA Airframe and/or Powerplant License(s)
Knowledge of FARS (especially 145, 25 and 121)
This position will be hired as either an Engineer-Level 6, Senior Engineer-Level 5 or Principal Engineer-Level 4; the selection will be based on level of experience. Engineer (level 6) requires entry level to 5 years of engineering experience, Senior Engineer (level 5) requires a minimum of 2-4 years at an engineer level or similar role elsewhere in the industry and Principal Engineer (level 4) requires a minimum of 3-5 years at a senior engineer level or similar role elsewhere in the industry.
Recent Structural or heavy maintenance check engineering experience on aircraft including 737, 757, 767, 787 and 777 or Airbus A319/320 is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Division: 66 Technical Operations/Maintenance
Function: Tech Ops / Maintenance - Management & Administrative
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled