United Airlines Manager – IT Applications Development in Chicago, Illinois
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
The United IT team designs, develops and maintains massively scaling technology solutions that are brought to life with innovative architectures, data analytics and digital solutions. This role is part of the technology organization that provides solutions to our Global Customer Contact Centers at United.
This role can be in Chicago or Houston
Job overview and responsibilities
The primary purpose of the Manager Applications Development position is to lead the development team responsible for our internal reservation application used by our Global Contact Centers. This includes developers responsible for the implementation and maintenance of our current application as well as the build out of the new application as well as the supporting DevOps function.
This role is accountable for the evaluation and implementation of standards and procedures, which support the enterprise’s application infrastructure. The manager directs multiple teams of developers involved in the analysis, design and development of large scale applications, which may include both projects and programs. This manager is accountable for maximizing the productivity of the applications staff and the maintainability of software systems, keeps abreast of new technologies, incorporates those technologies when appropriate and motivates others to utilize them. The individual in this role has decision making responsibility within their discipline and is required to escalates any issues, which cannot be resolved to their relevant Senior Manager.
This role will work closely with other individuals in the organization focused on reservation applications such as the Product Owner, Manager of Scrum Masters, Enterprise Quality Assurance (testing) and our 3rd party suppliers.
Business Interface :
• Establish and maintain strong business relationships with both senior and operating level business leaders
• Understand and provide recommendations for improvement of Business Processes by leveraging existing IT capabilities, identifying improvements to existing IT capabilities and define new strategic IT capabilities
• Stay abreast of business of business strategy, goals, objectives and operational performance
• Be a Thought Partner, i.e. engaged with Business Owners/Business
• Act as the point of contact and facilitate the work request demand and prioritization process
• Educate business partners on roles, responsibilities, processes and deliverables required to ensure effective delivery of new technology solutions
• Responsible for escalating, assisting and follow-through on resolution of issues related to delivery of technology solutions
• Engage and ensure effective delivery of business deliverables and tasks with business partners for delivery of technology solutions (development of business requirements, scope management, training business change management and deployment)
• Accountable for gaining and maintaining alignment of delivery success criteria with business partners
• Accountable for effective project management and delivery of work requests and projects within committed budget, schedule and quality for individual projects while also meeting overall department performance goals
• Accountable for identifying needs, securing commitments and monitoring progress of deliverables from internal and external service provider teams
• Provide cost estimates and business case updates
• Accountable for ensuring technology solutions comply with architectural standards
• Responsible for defining application development standards and performing code reviews in order to confirm adherence
• Responsible for communication of progress to senior IT and Business leadership
• Responsible for organizing and maintaining performance of any application issues in accordance with agreed SLA
IT Process Mgmt. and Administrative:
• Accountable for administrative management of 10-20 IT professionals, either as direct reports or 3rd party source. Employee responsibilities include performance management, career development, HR administration, salary administration, time reporting, etc.
• Define, prioritize, allocate resources, track and provide status reporting of work assignments, projects, programs
• Budget and cost management for the projects/programs
• Ensure IT application development process disciplines (solution delivery, project management, work requests, QA, etc.) and standards are established, effectively managed and performed.
• Provide information and periodic updates to support overall IT performance metrics, monthly project status reporting and quarterly resource planning review.
Organizational Effectiveness / People:
• Provide leadership by establishing department and individuals goals
• Responsible for developing and maintaining an overall sourcing plan which includes creative sourcing options and alternatives to ensure supply capacities meet work demand, role and skill set requirements and cost objectives
• Responsible for assessing and recommending improvements to the organization structure, roles and responsibilities
• Responsible for department and individual performance assessments and improvement plans.
• Responsible for coaching, counseling, assisting employees to develop individual career development and training plans.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Business Administration.
5 years of applications management experience in an IT or leadership related role.
Experience in a development role focused on delivering and maintaining web based applications.
Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong project organizations skill, including prioritization, planning and organization.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
Master’s degree a plus
Must have demonstrated understanding of performance management, business consulting, project management and applicable technology
Guiding Principles: Community of Respect, Delighting the Customer, Transparency, Accountability, Performance
Experience in application development, multiple major project delivering of med-large scale projects/programs.
Experience required in multiple technical platforms, operating systems, databases and development languages including but not limited to web, mainframe, Unix and Client Server.
Must have worked within a multi-disciplined, cross-functional technical organization with matrixes reporting relationship.
Experience in travel industry, especially airline related is a significant plus
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Division: 47 Technology/IT
Function: Information Technology
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled