United Airlines Principal Visual UI and Interaction Designer in Chicago, Illinois
Principal Visual UI and Interaction Designer
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
The Digital team works to create best-in-class customer experiences across our digital channels, including united.com, the United app and more.
Job overview and responsibilities
The Digital Products Organization is seeking a Principal Visual UI and Interaction Designer to join the Trip Management team, which is responsible for digital products related to viewing and updating reservations, including changing or canceling on the United website and mobile app.
In this role, you will lead efforts to design and define the interactions and interfaces which will engage our customers. At the core, you’ll transform unmet user needs and business opportunities into successful product launches. You will work to create a best in class customer experience for United’s interactive, digital touch-points, including online (website), mobile and kiosk experiences. The ideal candidate has a passion for user centered design and has a wide breadth of experience across multiple types of products, channels and design methodologies.
PLAN & CONCEPT
• Visualize ideas using professional design tools as well as sticky notes, sketch boards, whiteboard markers or whatever tools are necessary to rapidly work through ideation and move to the next stage
• Initiate and respond to ideas for innovation/improvements based on research, analysis, and competitive reviews
• Identify user needs and business requirements
• Substantiate design approach with analysis & projections for improvements
DESIGN & REFINE
• Ensure digital customer touch points become and remain consistent with United’s user experience and brand standards
• Develop intuitive, usable, and engaging interactions
• Create low and high fidelity interactive prototypes adhering to a rapid, iterative and collaborative process
• Work with usability researchers to design test plans and iterate designs throughout user testing. Translate usability research findings into design improvements
• Work daily with scrum team to deliver all assets required for ready user stories and participate in all agile ceremonies.
DEFINE & COMMUNICATE
• Create final design deliverables through appropriately detailed design specifications including: process flows, wireframes, storyboards, high and low fidelity mockups, red-lines and prototypes
• Present design work to the user experience team, product team, and executives for review and feedback
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams as well as the larger UX team and business partners throughout the design process
• Communicate harmoniously with multiple stakeholders to synthesize, review design project progress, and incorporate feedback appropriately with a user-centered focus
• During implementation phase respond to day-to-day questions from developers, product managers & project managers
• Work with QA to identify, document, and verify bug fixes
• BA/BS or equivalent work experience
• Solid grasp of web design principles and a good understanding of front-end web technologies
• Excellent understanding of user experience design for the Web, mobile, and touch devices
• Ability to coordinate, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks in a fast-paced atmosphere with minimal supervision
• Experience in writing detailed design specifications (IA, work flow, page functionality and layout, etc.), which technology developers use to build the product
• Must be a self-starter that can create schedules and define scope of work even when there are no clear requirements and direction
• Strong ability to communicate your design, defend your design decisions, and respond quickly to business needs
• Proven ability to set the design direction for your projects and to collaborate with other designers working in the space
• A team player who can easily adapt in a rapidly changing environment
• 8+ years professional UX design experience
• 3+ years experience managing large design projects
• 3+ years experience managing the work of other designers
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
• Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
• Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
• E-Commerce experience
• Experience writing HTML and using CSS
• Versed in defining long-term user experience strategies
• Experience working as a mentor to other interaction designers, developing their skills and potential
• Experience working in Agile Scrum methodology.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Division: 21 Digital Products & Analytics
Function: Information Technology
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled